Frequently Asked Questions


What does a joint degree mean?

腾达娱乐The MATA degree programme will allow students to spend time studying at both and the College of Europe (Bruges, Belgium or Natolin, Poland), as well as complete a high-level internship. The degree will be jointly awarded by both institutions. Graduates will receive a joint diploma and will become alumni of both schools.

What kind of a degree will I receive upon graduation from both institutions?

Graduates of this joint academic programme will receive a Master of Arts in Transatlantic Affairs (120 ECTS).

How long is the programme?

The MATA requires four semesters or two academic years. The fall semester begins in late August (Fletcher)/September (College of Europe) and runs through December. The spring semester begins in January and finishes in late May (Fletcher)/June (College of Europe).

How many students will be in the programme?

A maximum of five students may begin at each institution each year. Therefore, in any academic year there could be a total of twenty students since the programme takes two academic years to complete.

What is the required level of English?

腾达娱乐At least a C1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Do I need a good working knowledge of other languages?

The language of instruction is English. If your mother tongue is English you need a good working knowledge of one other language. If English is not your mother tongue, we consider your mother tongue as the second required language.

What is the academic structure of the programme?

腾达娱乐The programme is structured into five study tracks:

  • Economic Studies (Bruges);
  • International Relations and Diplomacy (Bruges);
  • Interdisciplinary Studies (Natolin);
  • Legal Studies (Bruges);
  • Political and Governance Studies (Bruges)

Generally students beginning at are required to take seven courses with at least one course from each of the three divisions: International Law and Organizations; Diplomacy, History and Politics; and Economics and International Business. MATA students spending their first year at the College of Europe are affiliated with one of the five study programmes and follow a tailor-made study track: European Economic Studies, European Interdisciplinary Studies (Natolin), EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies, European Legal Studies or European Political and Governance Studies腾达娱乐. All MATA students will also follow a joint transatlantic course during their first year in the programme.

腾达娱乐Students spending their first year at The Fletcher School will do an internship in semester 3 of the programme and spend their final semester at the College of Europe and integrate into one of its academic departments. Students spending their first year at the College of Europe can choose to do their internship in semester 3 or 4 and will, during the remaining semester, do coursework at The Fletcher School.

What are the academic requirements?

Applicants need at least four years of university studies and six months of relevant professional experience.
腾达娱乐 They should also have a strong interest in transatlantic affairs as well as basic knowledge of the EU.

Applicants will typically have a university degree in one of the following areas:

  • International Relations
  • Political Science
  • Diplomatic Studies
  • Law
  • Economics or Business Administration
  • European or American Studies
  • Contemporary (European or American) History

腾达娱乐Depending on the study track chosen, specific prerequisites exist. For the Economics track, students should have successfully followed courses in Statistics, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics at an intermediate level. For the International Relations and Diplomacy Studies track, students should have previous knowledge of EU institutions and decision-making. For the Legal Studies track, students should have a legal background and a prior knowledge of EU institutional law.

What is the joint course on transatlantic affairs?

During the fall semester of the first year, MATA students will take a joint course (via video conference) focused on the cultural, economic, legal and political aspects of the transatlantic relationship. In the spring term, MATA students will be engaged in a joint transatlantic project focused on solving a problem of a transatlantic nature.

What is the duration of the internship?

Students are strongly encouraged to seek an internship of four months, which is also the maximum possible length. A minimum of three consecutive months is required.

Do I have to find an internship myself?

腾达娱乐In principle yes. The internship in the public/private/non-profit sector will have to have a strong transatlantic focus and has to be approved by the two institutions. However, the Careers Offices of the two institutions will be able to support you in the search for an internship opportunity related to transatlantic affairs.

Do I have to do my internship in Belgium/Poland/the US?

腾达娱乐As long as they have a transatlantic focus, internships may be in any sector and may take place in Europe or North America. In principle, students spending their first year in the US will do their internship in Europe and vice versa.

Do I have to write a thesis?

腾达娱乐Yes. You have to submit a thesis on a topic of relevance to transatlantic affairs during the fourth semester. Students will select the thesis topic already during their first semester, and the thesis will be co-supervised by one supervisor from the College of Europe and one supervisor from The Fletcher School.

What is the application process like?

腾达娱乐If you wish to start your studies at the College of Europe, you have to submit your online application on the College of Europe website between early October and mid-January of the year during which you wish to commence your studies. The deadline for the two (online) letters of recommendation is 31 January .

Your file will be evaluated in February so we can interview (via WebEx) all preselected applicants in February and inform the admitted students around mid-March.

If you want to start your studies in the US, please go the relevant of The Fletcher School to find out more about the application process.

Do I need to provide two academic letters of recommendation?

腾达娱乐For this programme you will have to provide us with two academic letters of recommendation, that is letters from university professors. Additional letters, including professional references, can also always be uploaded additionally. Recommendation letters are in the form of online recommendation questionnaires that are automatically sent to your nominated referees via email through your online application.

What is the cost of this Master’s programme?

See the Fees page.

Are there any scholarship opportunities applicants can apply for?

The College of Europe and The Fletcher School offer scholarships and tuition waivers to a high percentage of their students across all study programmes, including the MATA programmes. Additionally, we encourage students to apply for external funding sources, for instance via the Fulbright Schuman programme.

Do I need a visa/work permit/residence permit?

As far as your internship is concerned: please check the national regulations for the country where you will do your internship.
As far as your studies are concerned: please check the national regulations for Belgium/Poland/the US.
If you study a full academic year in Belgium/Poland, you will need a visa type D (ask for a Schengen visa, multiple entry).

Can I apply to the MATA and the one-year College of Europe programmes on both campuses?

腾达娱乐Yes, you can. However, applying also to the one-year College of Europe programmes will require a separate application form including two letters of recommendation from other professors.

What can I do professionally with the MATA?

Graduates of this programme will be prepared for positions of leadership in a variety of areas – ranging from international and national public sector functions to responsibilities in the private and non-profit sectors – with an international outlook and the ability to deal with cross-border issues in a multidisciplinary manner.

Graduates of the College of Europe and The Fletcher School have gone on to exciting careers in international organizations (United Nations, NATO), the European Union, national diplomatic services and ministries, private companies, consultancies and law firms, non-for-profit organizations, think tanks and academia.

Can I live on campus? How does this work?

If you spend a full academic year at the College of Europe, the College will automatically reserve a room for you in one of its student residences for the entire academic year.

If you only spend the fourth semester of the MATA programme at the College of Europe, the College will automatically reserve a room for you in one of its student residences for the duration of this semester, that is from January to June.

If you do your internship in Belgium and you would like to stay in one of the student residences during the third semester of the MATA Programme, you should check well in advance if a room is available by contacting Mrs Katrijn PIETERS (General Services).
If you do your internship in the Warsaw area and you would like to stay in one of the student residences on the campus in Natolin during the third semester of the MATA programme, you can check if a room is available by contacting [at]


阿拉德之怒MG平台 体育投注开户 嘉博国际网址 腾博网址 拉菲注册地址 腾博会诚信为本 博天堂网址登录 澳门太阳神网站